Today's Unews is dedicated to the memory of two of my personal heroes, who have birthdays March 31st: my father, John Houston Brantner; and Cesar Chavez, "Si Se Puede!"
An extension should pass the Senate on Monday, but House Republicans are not impressed: Here is a recent article that has comments from many of our targets: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/04/03/the-senate-is-going-to-pass-an-unemployment-insurance-extension-today-the-house-is-unimpressed/
It continues to obvious that House Republicans are happy to hide behind Speaker Boehner's repeated refusal to allow a vote on a Unemployment Benefit Extension (UBE). Since Boehner has been saying the same thing about an immigration vote for over a year, we are not going to waste precious time targeting him directly. Instead, we are going to target the Republican members of the House who come from the states with the highest unemployment rates and who have viable opposition in November. The idea is to win their support and get THEM to convince Boehner to allow the vote.
The One Number To Reach Them All
Please incorporate the script below for maximum impact and add you own unique perspective and thoughts. We will need at least 19 House Republican votes to pass a UBE, but getting the votes is not the hard part, convincing Speaker Boehner to allow a vote is, so be sure you convince your targets that you are going to hold THEM personally responsible if Boehner does not allow a vote (see the script for details).
Here Are Our Targets, their state's unemployment rate, their twitter handle and the twitter handle for their opponent. If you are tweeting, be sure to include: 1) #RenewUI 2) our website AA4U.org and 3) "November Fools" and/or "We Demand A Vote" (our twitter handle is @AA4U2014)
- Rodney Davis, IL (8.7%) @RodneyDavis @callis4illinois
- Randy Hultgren, IL (8.7%) @RepHultgren @DennisIL14
- Joseph H. Heck, NV (8.5%) @RepJoeHeck @erinbilbray
- Doug LaMalfa, CA01 (8.0%) @RepLaMalfa
- Jeff Denham, CA10 (8.0%) @RepJeffDenham @eggman4congress
- David Valadao, CA21 (8.0%) @RepDavidValadao @AmandaRenteria
- Garland Barr, KY (7.8%) @RepAndyBarr @JensenElis
- Brett Guthrie, KY (7.8%) @RepGuthrie
- Tim Walberg, MI (7.7%) @RepWalberg @pambyrnes
- Fred Upton, MI (7.7%) @RepFredUpton
- Kerry Bentivolio, MI (7.7%) @RepKerryB @Bobby_McKenzie
- Dan Benishek, MI (7.7%) @CongressmanDan @Cannon4Congress
- Frank LoBiondo, NJ (7.1%) @RepLoBiondo @Hughes4SJersey
- Rodney Frelinghuysen, NJ (7.1%) no twitter, call (973) 984-0711
- Scott Garrett, NJ (7.1%) @RepGarrett @RoyCho5
- Michael Grimm, NY (6.8%) @repmichaelgrimm @DomenicRecchia
- Christopher Gibson, NY (6.8%) @RepChrisGibson @SeanEldridge
- Tom Reed, NY (6.8%) @RepTomReed @MarthaforNY
- Michael Fitzpatrick, PA (6.2%) @RepFitzpatrick @StrouseforPA
- Keith Rothfus, PA (6.2%) @KeithRothfus @ErinforPA
- Steve Southerland, FL (6.2%) @Rep_Southerland @GwenForCongress
- Bill Posey, FL (6.2%) @congbillposey @CorryWestbrook
- Jackie Walorski, IN (6.1%) @RepWalorski @JoeBock_IN
Here is a suggested script for calls:
"I am with the Activist Alliance for the Unemployed. You can visit our website at AA4U.org and see the fliers we have made up with YOUR contact information for distribution at food pantries, unemployment offices, shopping centers, churches, etc. in your district. We are targeting you as a NOVEMBER FOOL because your state has one of the highest number of unemployed.
You should keep in mind that when you cut off a person's unemployment, they have to move in with family members. That means that for every person whose benefits are cut off, there are several family members who are affected and who will NOT be voting for you in November. You should also know, that as a member of AA4U.org, I will be volunteering my time and money for your opponent, who is listed at opensecrets.org, if you fail to support an Unemployment Benefit Extension.
So, to sum up, if you do not want to become unemployed yourself, you had better convince Speaker Boehner to allow a vote on a Unemployment Benefit Extension before April first. Otherwise, we will make sure that your constituents know YOU are responsible for not pushing for a vote on an ONE YEAR Unemployment Benefits Extension. DON'T BE A NOVEMBER FOOL"
Also, I would like to see if there is interest in planning protests across the country for tax day, Tuesday April 15, outside of all main post offices that stay open late to accept mail. The press usually show up to cover the lines of people dropping off their tax forms and we could be there with our protest "We want an income to pay taxes ON!" Please let me know if you would be interested in planning a small protest in your community......
To be notified whenever there is a new "AA4U Unemployment News You Can Use" blog post, just sign our petition and you will automatically get an email with a summary and a link to the new post!
--Thank you for your activism, we can only make change if we pull together....namaste, Laura Rubalcaba